Friday 3 November 2017

Reach for the Stars ......

Happy Friday ......

It's the weekend ..... whoo hoo!!!
It's also the first Friday of the month so, it can only be ..... the launch of this month's Craft Stamper Challenge ......


We have a fabulous sponsor this month ...... the amazing RubberDance stamps


And the lucky challenge winner will get to choose a RubberDance stamp set .... ooooh!

As always the theme is Anything Goes .... as long as there's actual rubber stamping on your project somewhere .... no digis please.
You can enter up to THREE projects only into the challenge .... just make sure that each project has its own blog post
Speaking of blog posts ..... when you link up your entry to the Craft Stamper Challenge post, please link back to the actual project post and NOT just your Blog ...... and, only one project per post please.

OK .... onto a spot of inspiration.  I've been playing around with Galaxy Backgrounds ....... using Distress Oxide inks


A little messy but what fabulous results ...... I love it!!  Jennifer McGuire has a fantastic YouTube video ..... if you've not already tried this effect, give it a go .... it's fun!

I used smooth, hot pressed, watercolour card because you do need to add quite a bit of water to blend the inks.  I'm sorry I didn't take any photos of the whole process, it was only supposed to be a trial run, but I just loved the result so much that I decided to use it.

I used fossilized amber, seedless preserves, salty ocean and peacock feathers Distress Oxides and applied them randomly all over my watercolour card.  I then spritzed heavily with water and let the colours blend together whilst drying them using a heat tool.
Next, came the messy bit .... I smooshed black soot Distress Oxide ink onto my craft sheet, spritzed it with a pearl mica spray instead of plain water and then used a piece of acetate to smoosh the black over the top of the colours.
What! .... black ink over the top of the colours ..... that can't be right, well ....... yes it can, this is the fun part. 
Just keep applying the black over the top of the colours, leaving some of the colour from underneath showing through (this is where I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the process).
Because of the mica spray you get this fabulous pearlescent sheen over the top of the chalky finish from the oxides .... it's so pretty and makes this amazing galaxy sky


Just remember to dry off each layer of ink that you apply.  If you add too much black and think you've ruined your piece don't worry ..... dry it off, add a little more colour on top, spritz a bit more water and dry it again.  Too much colour .... then add a bit more black.  There's no right or wrong, just keep going until you're happy with the result ..... it will come!

I heat embossed part of my sentiment ....... Written in the Stars stamp set from My Favourite Things


and used one of the matching dies (Shining Stars) to cut the rest


I will be doing this effect again .... I love it!! ..... and I promise to take more pictures of the process next time.  I'll show you just how much of a mess I can make!

Check out the Craft Stamper Blog for more fabulous inspiration from the rest of the Design Team.

Thanks for popping by .... enjoy the rest of your day and have a lovely weekend.

If you're off to watch a firework display this weekend, have fun ...... but please stay safe.
I'm off out on a girlie night with Lauren this evening which should be fun.  We're off to the Tea Junction for a Sparkle event .... apparently we have to dress to impress!  Better start going through the wardrobe ..... it could take a while!!

Cheerio until next time

3 comments:

Mrs.B said...

What a fabulous effect you've created and it looks brilliant with the sparkly sentiment.
Have a great weekend.
Avril xx

maria f. said...

SOOOOOO pretty. I haven't tried a galaxy with DOX yet, but you're motivating me...

Let's Art Journal said...

Wonderful card! The galaxy background you created with the Distress Oxides is amazing 😁. Wishing you a lovely week! J 😊