Friday 8 June 2012

I've done it!!

Happy Friday everyone,
Well the final day of the TT was postponed due to bad weather conditions. This means the weekend is going to be all messed up because they'll now run the race tomorrow - great!
I have things to do tomorrow, I need to go shopping!!  And we have Mike's 40th birthday party to get to in the afternoon.  We have to go - I've made him a card. 
Yes, you heard correct.  I've made the 'man' card.  I've been putting it off all week but finally it's done.  What do you think?

I'm quite proud of it actually.  I don't like doing cards for men they're really hard work (the cards are not easy either - lol!) I'm really pleased how this has turned out though.
I must admit the idea has been there all week.  I knew which stamps I wanted to use and the 'time flies' theme was there, I just wasn't sure what to put with it, what colours to use, do I use papers or not, this is for a guy so I can't put ribbons on there, etc., etc., etc.
Once I sat down and got everything together it didn't take that long.  The longest bit has been waiting for the glossy accents to dry on the clock face.
I made the pocket watch first.  The pieces are Wendy Vecchi's Studio 490 Art Parts.  I love these paper board shapes, there's load of different ones you can get and they're perfect for altering whether it be with inks and paint or just covering them with lovely papers.  The only thing is I don't like giving them away - this guy better know how lucky he is!!
I coloured the pieces with Vintage Photo Distress Re-inker then spritzed the frame quite a bit with Biscotti Perfect Pearls.  The stamps I used were from Indigo Blu - one of my favourite stamp ranges. http://www.indigoblu.com/   Check out their website for all the latest stamp designs and much, much more. 
I used the cogs from the 'Take the Time' set and stamped them on the solid pocket watch and embossed with gold.  Once the pieces were completely dry I joined them both together then added one of the Prima wooden clock faces to the centre, you can still see the cogs in the background.  I then covered the face with a layer of glossy accents and left it to dry.

The wings were cut from chipboard with the Tim Holtz Winged Heart Sizzix die.  I used Distress ink to colour the back of the wings and I covered the front with a layer of Flitter Glu, then dipped them into gilding flakes. There's also a little bit on the edges of the number 40 too.
I love using these but they can get everywhere.  You need to be quite firm when brushing off the excess to get a lovely smooth finish.  I have my flakes in a large container, I find it easier, and you don't waste as much because everything just goes back in.  Ooh,  don't forget to wipe any Flitter Glu off your fingers before sticking them into your tub of flakes.   It's strong stuff  and your fingers will end up covered  too.
The background paper is from the new Journal Pad by Prima, and the stripe is a little piece I found in my bit box.  I think it's from My Mind's Eye, Lost and Found range.  I used the stamps again directly onto the paper, same set as before, and Distress Ink around the eges. 
The little tag on the side actually fits into a pocket and is loose so you can pull it out - there's a birthday message on the back.  I stamped the front with the hot air balloon from the Indigo Blu Grand Tour III set, slightly off the edge, and inked around the edges with Vintage Photo DI.  I dropped a little bit of water onto the ink and blotted with a paper towel to give a 'weathered' look.  I thought this was a good spot for the 40 - well it had to go on somewhere, didn't it.
The lettering and the numbers, were all cut with the new Tim Holtz Die - WordPlay,  and you can see that I've also used his Weathered Clock too.
I even decorated the inside ......

Well it looked a bit plain, plus I needed to put extra card on the back so that it will stand up.  There's quite a lot on the front and I don't want it falling over.
Did you spot that I sneaked a bit of vintage seam binding on the front too - well like I mentioned yesterday most of my cards have to have ribbon on somewhere.  At least it's black - very masculine.
I really hope that Mike likes it.  If he doesn't, I'll have it back!!

In case you hadn't guessed I'm a bit of a Timmie fan.  I'd just like to say that one of my previous Blog posts showing my take on one of his 12 Tags has just had 1000 views!!! April post
This is unbelieveable. I've been watching the numbers all week wondering if it would make it, and it has. (anyone would think I've nothing else to do!)  I'm so pleased.  I would never have thought that so many people, from all over, would want to read what I put on these posts. 
I was lucky enough to be one of the 12 winners for the April Tag, and it's since then that all these views have mounted up.  Thanks to everyone for showing an interest, and to all those that left wonderful comments.  I really do appreciate it. 

Phew!  It's been a busy week this week.  Most of what's on my list has got done.  The rest can carry over to next week.  How much time I'll have though, who knows.  I've had the 'C' word (Christmas) mentioned to me - Oh No!  I'll have to go in search of some Christmas spirit - Ho! Ho! Ho! and all that.

Have a lovely weekend.  Hope the weather's kind to you wherever you are.
See you all next week.

Linda
x


7 comments:

carolyn lee said...

Linda this an amazing card fit for a king.
Love it.

Sally-Jo said...

You have 'timeless' style with your craft work, your parcel will be in the post tomorrow xx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...this is just the most fabby card for Hubby loVe all the work you've put in all the techniques & inkiness, simply superb...so nice your viewing levels have risen & what a treat when they get here you have a very inspiring blog Linda...Mel :)

Julie Brooks said...

Hi Linda. Wow! What a fantastic card and I really hope the recipient appreciates all the time, care and effort that's gone into it. It is absolutely beautiful, and all you'd need to do is change the colour scheme and it would work for a female too! I absolutely love it. You are one very talented lady. I also liked your tips about the gilding flakes. I bought some recently and haven't yet had a chance to try them so your tips have been stored in the old memory box for future reference. x

Greta said...

Wonderful collage card--not my strength, but I love to see it done so well!

Mrs.B said...

Hi Linda, this is a fantastic card, love all the detail you have included and the colour is perfect - even down to the vintage seam binding!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Avril xx

Aileen said...

Super masculine card and love the decorated inside too. x