Saturday 14 June 2014

Guest Designer Spot for Less is More ...... so excited!!!!

Happy Saturday morning folks,

I'm doing a little dance this morning as I'm so proud to say that I've been asked to do a Guest Spot on my FAVOURITE Blog Challenge ..... Less is More.
This was the first ever Blog Challenge that I entered back when I'd just started blogging, and I've been entering ever since ..... when I have the time.

A few weeks ago they put out a DT call and I put my name in the hat.  It's not surprising to say that there were quite a few names in that hat ...... it's one popular challenge!   Unfortunately I didn't make it ..... but everyone that applied has been invited to do a Guest Spot on one of the challenges, and this week it's my turn!!
It's ........ One Layer Card Week
with the theme 
'Off The Edge'

Yes, it's the dreaded OLC ..... they're not always the easiest designs to make.  No room for error, remember only one layer, so you can't cover up that ink mark with a butterfly or a flower (go on admit it, we've all done it!) And then there's the addition of the 'Off the Edge' bit ...... here's what I came up with


The beautiful large Swallowtail Butterfly from Stampin Up! stamped 'off the edge' of my card and coloured using the new Spectrum Noir Pencils


A little touch of Glossy Accents on the body, and a sentiment from the CAS-ual Fridays Stamp set  Truth Is
stamped using Tangelo Memento ink.


Next up is a really simple design using the masking technique ......


I die cut a circle from some copier paper and used the outside section as a mask to ink through.  Note that I placed the mask 'off the edge' of the card, applied Distress ink and then with the mask still in place I stamped over the top using the Script Background from IndigoBlu.
I removed the mask and then using Black Versafine ink, I stamped the bird on the branch (from the new Hero Arts set Forever) off the edge of the card.  I suppose you could say it's 'off the edge' of the circle too.


One of my favourite little sentiment stamps finishes off the front of the card, and the bird finished off the inside.


And finally, a pretty floral design ....


I've used the Wendy Vecchi Stencil  From the Garden,  from Studio 490 for the blooms and inked through using Picked Raspberry, Dried Marigold and Mustard Seed Distress inks


I added in some leaves and used the lovely CAS-ual Fridays sentiment.


The centres of the blooms have been finished off using a touch of White Enamel Accents ....


I carried on the design inside the card and added a sentiment from one of the JOFY stamp sets (JOFY14)


Thanks to Chrissie and the rest of the team for inviting me along this week, it's been a real pleasure.
Why don't you join in the fun and go 'Off the Edge' with this week's challenge over at Less is More.
Good luck everyone!

 *********

I'm also entering one of these cards into another Challenge ........ One of my lovely Blog friends, who's been with me on my crafty journey since the beginning, is hosting her own Blog Challenge,
The fabulous Darnell, from djkardkreations has reached over 500 followers on her blog and I'm not surprised.  If you're not familiar with her blog please go over and visit it's always full of great inspiration, it's a fantastic read and the lovely lady has such a sense of humour ........ every post comes with a smile!  Pop over and see what I mean, you'll be glad that you did.
Anyway .... to celebrate the landmark figure, Darnell is hosting the first ever NBUS Challenge
Darnell's challenge
What is NBUS I hear you say ....... if you're already a follower of Darnell you'll know it stands for Never Before Used Schtuff.  This was something that Darnell came up with some time ago and it's really caught on in the land of Blog.  It's all about using that stash that we buy, and just look at, or put away and forget about ..... you know the stuff I mean.

Well I've done it!!!  I've used NBUS on all of the above cards ..... stencils, stamps, pencils, even ink (no not the Distress inks .... the orange Memento.  Would you believe this little ink pad still had the seal intact - shame on me!!)
So .....  for NBUS Challenge #1
Anything Goes
(with a Friendship Theme)

This is the one I'm entering ...... the stencil, the stamp and the Enamel Accents are all new, never before used stash ..... and the card is now winging its way to a special friend for her birthday.


It may be the first time that I've used the stencil but it won't be the last ...... I love it! The flower is such a pretty design and a nice size too,  can't wait to try embossing paste through it!

Well we're here in the Cotswolds ..... we had a lovely, calm ferry crossing, hit a bit of traffic on the motorway, on the way down on Friday afternoon but nothing too bad, and the cottage is just beautiful!!  I'll take some pictures during the week.


Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy your weekend.   We're off to the Cheltenham Food and Drink Festival at some point so we should have a good one.

Cheerio until next time

Linda
xx

23 comments:

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Linda it's great to see you guest designing this week and what a spectacular set of cards. Butterflies seem to be the go to image for a few of us this week! LOL! Love your colouring with the pencils but my favourite is the burst of Summer flowers that stencil is divine and teamed with your layout and sentiment it's just adorable. Have fun week.
Sarah
Less is more

Pippa said...

Just love your colourful flowers, really eye-catching. All your other cards are great too but the flower one is my favourite.

Jan said...

Congrats on your LIM GDT Linda. Fab cards I love the last one it's gorgeous xx Jan

shirley-bee said...

Congrats on the GD spot, Linda - love all the cards! The colours on the butterfly are fabulous, the circle masking is a great idea for one layer cards, and those stencilled flowers are gorgeous! Enjoy the Cotswolds :)

Huguenot Girl said...

Congrats on being Guest Designer at LIM this week. Fab cards. Particularly like the masking - simple effect (yet takes quite a bit of time to achieve it). The last card is amazing! I probably have loads of stuff that has never been used so will have to look at Darnell's NBUS challenge! Enjoy the Cotswolds (and the Cheltenham Food Festival)! Nicole x

Julie B said...

Congrats on your GD spot at LIM and some really gorgeous cards.! Still got my thinking cap on LOL !

nicky said...

Well done on the GD and super cards x

Viv said...

Congrats on the DT spot Linda. Gorgeous cards here again I just adore that flower stencil and card esp. Glad the ferry crossing went ok and that you are in your lovely cottage now.I love Bourton on the Water too and have had lovely holidays there also :) Viv xx

Dotty Jo said...

Such a well deserved GDT spot at LIM! Love your cards hun, Jo x

Sarah G said...

These cards are absolutely stunning, Linda! Love the large butterfly - perfect for a one layer card and the masked circle card which is lovely and elegant. The pops of colour and perfect inking on the third card is fab - looks like you have made a dent in your NBUS!

Redanne said...

Both cards are stunning Linda and well done for your GD spot, shame they could not take you on, you would have been an amazing asset to their team. Lovely to see you joining in the wonderful Darnell's challenge too! Anne xx

Vicki Dutcher said...

Well you ROCKED out these OLC off the edge! That bfly card is stunning - beautiful coloring! Sorry you didn't make the "team" but you sure did awesome as the GD!

Margaret said...

Congratulations on your Guest Designer spot this week Linda. Your cards are amazing. Have a good time in the Cotswolds - a beautiful part of the country
Margaret x

Anne said...

OOH! Linda what an amazing set of creations, love the colouring on your butterfly and your stencilling is awesome
Hope you enjoyed your day out
Anne
x

Darnell said...

It has been great fun following your blog journey since the beginning, my friend! Your works of art always astound me and I am amazed you aren't having tons of challenges begging you to be on their DTs!! Congratulations on the LIM GD spot!! They are so lucky to have you! Even though you weren't selected as a DT member (it had to be a close call!), it is still a huge honor to be a GD for this ever-popular challenge and you deserve that honor!

I must say you have outdone even yourself with your three inspirations for us!! I can't even pick a favorite!! I adore them all and I appreciate the reminder (again!) that the inside can be a beautiful gift for the recipient, too!! Your swallowtail is sensational, your masked circle birdie divine, and your stenciled blooms colored so fabulously really rocked my world! You, my dear, have made OLCs look easy!! (And I know they're not!)

Thank you for all the wonderful compliments you paid me, Linda! I return them all to you!! And tank you for joining my NBUS Challenge, posting my button, and spreading the word to your other readers! I appreciate you very much!! Have a delightful time in the Cotswolds! Can't wait to see the piccies!! Hugs, Darnell

Shona Chambers said...

You must be so excited!!!! Congratulations and I LOVE all of these cards. I couldn't believe that you coloured that butterfly with pencils, its incredible! The detail and accuracy of your colouring is truly amazing, it looks so real. And I really like the way you add your design inside the card too, very clever idea. Can imagine with cards like these, we will see you doing more Guest Designer spots in the future!!

G Peplow said...

Fabulous cards, each and everyone's a winner :D Congratulations on your GD place this week, you've done a brilliant job :D Enjoy your holiday, it's a beautiful place :D x

Brenda said...

Wow, what amazing cards! I love those flowers and the colors of them as well. That butterfly has been a favorite of mine for a while now, but I never bought it cause I was afraid that I would be able to do it justice. But you have!!! It is simply stunning. I have to say I love all your cards, but those flowers just scream summer to me and really catch my eye. Hugs, Brenda

gardener said...

Lovely OTE cards. Love that look. I especially like the script circle and bird. A big thanks for showing the card inside. I really appreciate seeing how others coordinate the front and inside.

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Such an amazing card - had to come over from LIM to tell you that!

Ann said...

A wonderful collection of cards to inspire in this challenge, Linda! Love the freshness of your flowers and the butterfly is stunning! Hugs, Ann

Vicki Dutcher said...

Such fun OLC! I adore the stunning bfly~ Congrats on the GD

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

A lovely set of one layer cards Linda - I went with the Swallowtail too this week!