Thursday 4 April 2019

CAS Stencil Challenge ......

Happy Thursday to you .......

I hope you've had a good day.  It's time to get April's CAS Stencil challenge underway.
This month our host is the lovely Barb,  and there's another fun theme for you.  It's one of my favourite things to use with stencils .......... Embossing Pastes/Gels


These are a great way to add texture and dimension to your stencil designs.  Use the coloured pastes for quick and easy designs.  Use the clear or translucent pastes over the top of colour to add dimension, or simply colour your own by adding paints, inks or mica powders to white pastes.  They're so much fun.  If you've never used this technique before, you can find links to some fabulous, easy to follow video tutorials on the CAS Stencil Blog.

OK .... now for some inspiration


I've used inks first with my stencil.  Black for the leaves and branch, and grey for the actual flower heads


When I'm using inks with stencils it's definitely less is more!  I like to use a stencil brush or a sponge and I pounce the ink through the design, building the colour up gradually.  This cuts the risk of the ink pooling underneath the stencil, and means that you get a nice crisp image.

I masked off the leaves and branch and then applied a translucent paste over the top of the magnolia flowers to add some dimension.  Whilst the paste was still wet I sprinkled some Ultra-fine Glass Micro Beads over the top, to add some more texture.


Please note ..... not all texture/embossing pastes have an adhesive in them so beads or glitter might not stick once they are dry.  I tend to use the Sweet Poppy stencil pastes and these are fine.



A few splatters of gold ink here and there ....


And a simple sentiment to finish off, heat embossed in gold .....


The challenge is open until April 24th so you've lots of time to play along.
Don't forget to check out what the rest of the Design Team have been up to.

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your day.
We're off out this evening to a special dinner at our favourite little restaurant/wine bar.
The founder of the Little Beauty Winery from Marlborough in New Zealand is paying a visit and the menu has been designed around their amazing wines.  A seven course tasting menu with wines that match each delicious dish perfectly ..... it's going to be a great night!

Cheerio until next time .......


Products used:
Stamps: Life is a Journey clear stamp set (Sweet Poppy)
Inks: Versafine Clair - Nocturne, Distress Oxide - Hickory Smoke; Delicata Pigment Ink - Golden Glitz; Versamark
Others: Magnolia stencil (Sweet Poppy); Translucent Stencil Paste (Sweet Poppy); Ultrafine Glass Micro Beads - Silver (Sweet Poppy); Gold embossing powder (WOW!)

12 comments:

Julia Aston said...

LOVE, love, love how you mixed inking and pasting on your beautiful stencil Linda! what a great look!! The added micro beads add such wonderful texture to the blooms and the grey/black makes such a dramatic statement along with the gold embossed sentiment and splatter! I bet you have micro beads all over your work table now though??!! Sounds like you are in for a wonderful evening! Hope you don't get too tipsy with all that wine tasting! (I know I would!!) xx

Mac Mable said...

Such a striking card. Love the monochromatic tones and how you did the flower heads with the paste and micro beads x. Have a super evening and that's one I would love to go too...my favourite wines x.

Barb Ghig said...

Be still, my heart...I'm a huge fan of gray and your gray Magnolia's are absolutely gorgeous, Linda! I feel like I could reach out and touch all that beautiful texture, and I love the contrast with your black leaves and branch! I also love that you chose gold embossing for your sentiment, too...such a stunning card!

Cathy said...

Wow! What a gorgeous card, love the stencil and it's so pretty with the glass beads on the flowers. Striking in the black and grey with the gold sentiment and spatters, Cathy x

Loll said...

Your magnolia is so beautiful and elegant in gray and black, Linda. Adding the translucent paste and glass beads gives it so much depth and sparkle. Beautiful card, my friend! Have a wonderul evening out! xx

nancy littrell said...

I use the same pouncing technique for coloring thru stencils, Linda. It was nice to hear you do the same. I loved how you colored your beautiful magnolia stencil image in black and greys. Such a pretty soft and crisp image. Adding your embossing paste and glass beads must be Gorgeous IRL. Beautiful gold splatters and gold heat embossed sentiment too. TFS my friend. Enjoy your special night out. Hugs...Nancy

Robyn Oliver said...

OOOHHH WOW, I simply love this card Linda, you've done a beautiful job with the sponging (hints to remember thank you) and the micro beads on the paste changes the whole feel of the card, a true work of art and so much soft texture with the beads...fantastic....cheers Robyn

Sue said...

Very elegant card, Linda, beautiful stencilling.

Mrs.B said...

A stunning card Linda, love the magnolia stencil and it looks fabulous in these colour tones.
Avril xx

Bonnie said...

This is one classy card, Linda! Again those ultra fine micro beads really grab my attention!

Anonymous said...

So intrigued by these micro beads, I might have to orders some for pick up in September. Love your monochromatic magnolia. absolutely stunning :)

Brenda in IN said...

This is just lovely. The soft grays and blacks add drama and the shine of the beads add dimension along with the clear paste. I love this card.