Friday 1 January 2021

Happy 2021!!!!

Happy New Year's Day .........

Well, we made it .......... it's 2021!!!  This year has got to be better than the last one.

I hope you all had a lovely Christmas, and enjoyed some New Year celebrations ...... a little different than the norm I expect but, we did it!

So, it's the first of January, and after our little festive break the CAS Mix Up Challenge is back ..... whoo hoo!!


We're starting the year with a Mixed Media Challenge.   Hilary is our host this month, and the theme is (I'm really excited about this one) ........ Splatters!

I love adding splatters, to cards or journal pages, or anything and everything really.  I think they're a quick and very effective way of creating fun backgrounds, and they're also a great way to disguise or hide small mistakes (ooops!), or happy accidents should I say.


This was really quick and easy to do ....... I stamped and heat embossed the numbers using gold and silver embossing powders


Using a ruler and metallic gel pens, I added in the 'strings' to the tops of the numbers, to give the look they're hanging .......


And then used gold and silver metallic inks to do the splatters ........ I simply swipe some of the ink onto a craft mat, spritz with a little water and then use an old paintbrush to pick up the colour.  I then gently tap the paintbrush across my finger over the area where I want the splatters ...... the harder you tap and the more ink you have on your brush, the bigger the splatters.  I do love this effect, especially metallic inks on black cardstock ...... perfect for my New Years card!


To finish off I stamped the 'Happy' onto a snippet of black card, heart embossed in the gold powder, and cut it down to fit in just above the numbers ........


I also added three small crystal gem stones to give a touch of sparkle.

This is a New Years card but, the design could be used for birthdays or any special date, and just think of all the colour options!

We have a fabulous Guest Designer for January ...... Elaine (Craft-E-Place) is joining in the fun, so please pop by and say Hello.
As always, the challenge is open until January 24th so there's lots of time to play along.
Happy splattering!

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your day, and I hope 2021 is a great year for all of us!

Cheerio until next time ........




Products used:
Stamps: Number of Years stamp set (Stampin Up!)
Inks: Delicata metallic inks - Golden Glitz, Silvery Shimmer
Other: Gold and Silver Fine Detail Embossing Powders (WOW!); Gold and Silver metallic gel pens, ruler; water spray; clear gems stones

16 comments:

HilaryJane said...

Those splatters are amazing, the gold and silver look wonderful on the black card and the way you have concentrated them at the top is very clever. I never seem to be able to be that controlled with mine. they just kind of happen and it is pot luck where they end up! What a good design this whole card is, thank you for the inspiration xx

Loll said...

Wonderful way to ring in the New Year, Linda. LOVE the dramatic look of gold and silver on black, so elegant and beautiful. The splatters look like shiny confetti. This is a great design and like you mentioned, one that could be used for so many different occasions. Happy New Year, my sweet friend! xx

Viv said...

Brilliant card Linda - let's hope 2021 is a better year for us all!

Leslie Miller said...

Gosh, I thought your strings were real. A brilliant way to use these big numbers. All the dies I have and I do NOT have numbers or letters. How I love your festive arrangement with the "happy" so perfectly placed... and the splatters! Fabulous splatters! Happy new year, Linda!

conil said...

I wish out New Year celebration was as good as this card looks. The use of metallics for your embossing, as well as, your spatters was a stroke of genius. Awesome card for the New Year.

Bonnie said...

Wow, this is so festive and a classy way to welcome in the New Year, Linda! Love the metallic silver and gold on that black! WOW!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous and so dramatic, love the gold silver and black. The spatters look amazing will definitely try this technique! Happy New Year, Cathy x

Susan Joyce said...

Wonderful design for a New Year card Linda, love every design element. Happy New Year!

Christine Alexander said...

Wow the perfect New Year card, those splatters remind me of confetti. Love it :)

Mrs.B said...

Happy New Year Linda, a lovely festive card and it looks stunning on black.
Avril xx

Julia Aston said...

Wow - the gold and silver are so effective on the black base Linda! what a great New Year's card - love your hanging numbers and wonderful splatter! xx

nancy littrell said...

Love your gold and silver 2021 and splatters, Linda. Your black cardstock really makes your design Pop!! Wishing you a creative, Happy Healthy New Year, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow! So festive and classy! I love the combo of gold and silver on black!

Pat said...

Wonderful contrast with the silver and gold numbers and the super splattering on the black background. A brilliant card Linda. x

Sue - said...

Fabulous new yer card. I love all the glittery platters

Mac Mable said...

Such a happy and glorious card to start off the New Year Linda x. Thank you for the explanation how you did those fabulous splats x. Sending New Year Hugs x.