Friday 1 July 2022

Welcome to July! ........

Happy Friday ......

I hope you've had a lovely week.  We're sadly coming to the end of our Scottish motorhome adventure.  Just one more night, then it's time to catch the ferry back to the Isle of Man, and start planning for the next trip ...... six and a bit weeks and counting!

Can you believe we're in July already ........ half way through 2022!!!!  My goodness ...... it'll be Christmas before we know it ....... just saying!

A new month means a new CAS Mix Up Challenge.  
I'm hosting this month, and it's the turn of the Watercolour Challenge, with an added little twist ......


 I would like you to use 'Things with Wings' on your cards, as well as using the watercolour element of the challenge 

Things with Wings could be anything from birds, butterflies, bees, to fairies or even aeroplanes. As long as it's got wings you'll be fine.  Keep your cards CAS (Clean and Simple) and remember to use watercolouring on there too.

Here's a couple of ideas for you, both using very easy watercolouring techniques .......


Choose your image and stamp using a water reactive coloured ink.  Distress Oxides for example, are perfect for this, they stamp beautifully and react so well with water.  
Use a wet paintbrush to gently pull some of the colour out from the outline, trying to keeping as much of the stamped detail as possible.


I used Distess Oxides for my card, stamped onto watercolour card ........ Scattered Straw, Picked Raspberry and Dried Marigold  

I then used a wet paintbrush to gently move the ink ...... I found the more water on your brush the more the colour seemed to move, so don't have the brush too wet.
  
If you would rather add more colour over the top of your stamped image instead of taking colour from the outline, let your stamping dry,  smoosh the inkpad onto a craft mat, spritz with water and then use a paintbrush to watercolour your stamped image ..... hope that makes sense!


Some of the original stamped detail will disappear a little, but this gives more of a watercoloured effect I think


I stamped a sentiment underneath my butterflies, and finished off with a few ink splatters from the same colours of Oxides, over the butterflies


This next technique is really quick and easy to do .......


I stamped the butterflies all over a piece of white watercolour cardstock using Versamark Ink, and then sprinkled them with white embossing powder and heat set.


Once the embossing powder had cooled I then spritzed the cardstock with water and used Altenew Watercolour Paints to add the colour.
I spritzed the paints with water before I started, to get them into a liquid, and then used a paintbrush to pick up the colour and drop it onto the wet watercolour cardstock.  The water on the card helps to move the colour around but I did sprtiz again to make sure the colours blended together nicely


Repeat the process until you're happy with the depth of colour.   Use a paper towel to mop up any excess ink and water, this will also clean off your heat embossing, letting your stamped images show through.  
I prefer to leave this to air dry but you could use a heat tool, just be careful not to over heat the embossing.


The sentiment was added in two parts ...... one stamped and die cut (I do love the font on this stamp set from The Greetery!) and the second part simply stamped on a snippet of card and attached underneath


Check out the CAS Mix Up Blog for more inspiration for this months challenge from the rest of the Design Team.  There's also links to some videos using watercolour techniques.

Happy stamping!

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your day.

We've started our journey back to the Isle of Man today .... sigh!  
We had three lovely nights on Bunree Campsite. although the weather wasn't great.  I will share some pictures with you later.  
We really liked the site though, in fact we've already booked for next April.  I'm always ready for a trip to Scotland!

Tonight we're on a campsite called King Robert the Bruce's Cave Campsite in Kirkpatrick Flemming, not far from Lockerbie. Just the one night, then tomorrow we finish our drive to Heysham to catch the afternoon ferry back to the island.  Time to go home!

Cheerio until next time ........


Card 1
Supplies
Stamps: Watercolor stamp set CMS 217 (Tim Holtz); Tiny Words (Simon Says Stamps) for the sentiment 
Inks: Distress Oxides -  Scattered Straw, Picked Raspberry, Dried Marigold; Versafine Clair - Nocturne (for the sentiment)
Other: Watercolour cardstock

Card 2
Supplies
Stamps: Antique Engravings (Hero Arts): Opposites Attract Sentiments (The Greetery)
Inks/Paints: Versamark ink; Versafine Clair - Nocturne for the sentiment
Other: White Embossing Powder (WOW!); Opposites Atttract Matching Sentiment Dies (The Greetery)

7 comments:

Viv said...

Two really pretty cards Linda! The second one edges it for me - cos I love the bright shades! x

HilaryJane said...

Two lovely watercoloured butterfly cards, thanks for explaining the techniques. I don't think I have ever tried the first one. So glad you have enjoyed your trip to Scotland, have a safe and uneventful journey home xx

Bonnie said...

Two beautiful butterfly cards, Linda! Love, love, love those watery colors! Great challenge, my friend!

nancy littrell said...

Two beautiful watercolored butterfly card techniques, Linda. I especially love the emboss resist watercolor technique on your 2nd card using distress oxide inks. TFS both your cards, my friend. I do think the 1st card is a more CAS design. TFS all your photos of your trip to Scotland too. Beautiful country. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Loll said...

Both your butterfly cards are so pretty, Linda! I love both your techniques. The first one I have used a few times, but definitely need to use it more often. I love the soft watercolouring of the images to blue some of the details, but still leaves lots visible. Beautiful colours of your stacked butterflies that look fabulous with your two-part sentiment. Your second card is so fun with the bright mix of summery colours. Having the white embossed butterflies makes them stand out brightly against the bold watercolouring. Fabulous design for both cards, my friend. Have enjoyed your trip to Scotland. Thanks for taking us with you! xx

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful splatter on your first design and beautiful watercolor background on your white embossed design!

Brenda in IN said...

Tour trip sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see the pictures. I love when people share pictures to someplace I will never get to go. This is a fun challenge and I love both of your cards and the techniques. The colorful second card really caught my eye.