Monday 22 October 2012

Another week, another challenge

Hello everyone,
A bit of a slow start this morning, but welcome to a new week.  Let's hope this week carries on to be as productive as the last.
Did you all have a nice weekend? I hope so.
Mine was lovely, very relaxing.

Hubby was back from his business trip on Friday evening.  It's nice to have him home, and he even brought me a present, a lovely bottle of perfume.
We had a quick ride out on Saturday to do a spot of shopping.  My boys in blue (Chelsea Football Club!) won their match, we're now 4 points clear of Man Utd (who we play next weekend) and we're still top of the league - well done boys!
Sunday, we had a lazy morning, lunch out which is always nice as it means I don't have to cook, ooh, and I bought my pumpkins for Halloween.

Traditionally on the Isle of Man it's called Hop Tu Naa and they carve out turnips instead of pumpkins. Have you ever tired carving a turnip?!   This year however, there's a shortage of them, due to the bad weather we've had.  Now, I'm not saying this is a quiet place to live but, this made headline news. It's even on the BBC News website.  It's up there with other major headlines we've had, like potatoes washed up on the beach in the North of the island.  Exciting or what!!
Anyway, enough about the IOM.  On to things of a crafty nature. 

Last week saw the launch of the latest In the Pink challenge.
It's Challenge #6 ........
BUTTONS AND BOWS
You know me, I love my ribbons and I have been known to use the occasional button or two.
Well over the weekend I spent a little bit of time in the old craft room - can't keep out of there lately!
And I came up with this ........
Cute isn't she?!  I used to love my Magnolia stamps but they don't seem to come out of the cupboard much lately.  I don't seem to do cute anymore.
Obviously Pink always makes me think of girly cards so I had a rummage and found this little sweetie - Tilda with the Rose.
She's been coloured with Copic pens, using various shades of pink - something else I don't seem to use much of these days.  Too much other stuff I suppose.  Anyway, she's been die cut using a Marianne's Creatables die.  I cut this twice, once around Tilda and then again just on plain white card.  I also embossed the plain one, and while the die was still in place I used a little bit of Spun Sugar DI to highlight the raised areas.  The one with Tilda in the middle has had the fancy edge cut away, leaving just the circle so that I could layer up my design and add a little bit of dimension.
Tilda's rose has also been stamped again and layered and I add a tiny silk bow to the stem.

The papers I've used are from Making Memories - the 'Je t'adore' range.  I've just done a simple layout, added a scalloped border and some pretty lace.  There's a spot of Fran-tage on there too (Shabby Pink).

I spent quite a while with my button collection, and as always couldn't find just the right shade of pink.  In the end I gave up and made my own buttons.  Cut from chipboard covered with one of the background papers, using the Tim Holtz Alterations Die - Sewing Room.  They match perfectly now!
My final touch was to add the sentiment, which is from a Paper Artsy set of stamps, and of course I couldn't just leave it with the one small bow now could I.  So I added a beautiful pink silk ribbon bow, finished off with a sparkly Dazzler.

Well, that's one thing crossed off this week's list already.  Good start.  I'll be back tomorrow with this week's LIM card.

Thanks for popping by.  Have a great Monday.
See you soon

Linda
x

8 comments:

Doreen said...

A beautiful card,lovely image and design.xxx

Redanne said...

Hi Linda, that did make me laugh about the turnip shortage - at least you made the news I suppose! I am not really a Tilda fan but your card is gorgeous nonetheless and the rose really stands out with your double layering. Love the big bow and the buttons too. We had a beautiful weekend here in Cheshire but rain all day today........ Crafty hugs, Anne x

Christine L said...

Hi Linda

Oooooh what a stunning pink creation!! I love the image and the layout..... and that luscious pink bow!! And hmmmm I think I may have to buy the dye the made those fab buttons!!

Thanks for sharing again at In The Pink and for your support.... hope to see you again soon!

Hugs
Christine x
PS... don't forget, we want to see pics of your pumpkins!

Jo Rice said...

Hi Linda, it is always great to hear about life in the I.O.M ...Your card is so lovely and girly...and I love your buttons. Mind you I do love all things pink..I have just bought the pink Hougiie board....hugs. X

Linda said...

A PINK Hougie board!!!! I thought they were all green. I'm off to the NEC in November, if I see one there I can bet it finds a way home with me. (Not that I need another score board) Thanks for your comments Jo. xx

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous card and so cute too.
luv
Debby

Denise said...

Love this adorable card. Such a cute Tilda and fabulous layout. Love those handmade buttons too!!
Thanks for joining us at In The Pink
Denise xx (GDT)

Mrs.B said...

Hi Linda, I have had a few busy days, missed blogging and see you have been very busy with lots of lovely crafty makes. This is a lovely card, love the 'home made' buttons - better than shop bought!
Avril xx