Monday 18 February 2019

There's still time to play along with the CAS Stencil challenge .....

Happy Monday evening ......

We're just about to sit down for dinner but, first I wanted to give you a quick reminder of this month's CAS Stencil Challenge ..... there's still plenty of time if you'd like to play along.


Hosted by the lovely Nancy, it's all about Powdered Inks this month ....... things like Brushos, Infusions, Lindy's Magicals, Color Bursts, you know what I mean.  Little pots of magic that react with water and other mediums.
If you're not familiar with Powdered Inks, check out this month's challenge post on the CAS Stencil Blog.  There you'll find links to some really useful video tutorials.

For my inspiration piece I've used Brusho's, but this time I've used Translucent Stencil Paste instead of water, to react with the  powders .......


I've used the pretty Leafy Flowers stencil from Sweet Poppy and just two pots of Brusho .....  a red shade and a green.
I just love how you get so many different shades from the one pot of colour.


I placed my stencil onto a piece of white card and taped it down around the edges.
If you've never used Sweept Poppy Stencils before ...... give them a try.  They're made from top quality stainless steel, and the designs are so detailed. 
If you use the magnetic sheet underneath your cardstock, because they're metal stencils they do stay in place really well.  Although I would recommend still securing them with low tack stencil tape ...... a) to absolutely guarantee that the stencil doesn't move, and b) also protect any cardstock showing around the edges from stray ink or stencil pastes etc.

I sprinkled a tiny amount of the Brushos through the design, trying to keep the powder off the actual stencil.
Instead of spritzing with water I used Translucent Stencil Paste over the top.  Because this is water based it still reacts with the Brushos activating the colour so it spreads in the usual way.
You could of course mix the Brusho with the paste before you put it though the stencil, but this is much more fun!


I've also tried using Gel Mediums with this technique and they give similar results.
The only thing is you can't put any leftover paste back into the pot because it will have some of the colour mixed in with it ...... but you know me I don't like to waste anything so, I grabbed a bit of leftover card, added a tiny bit more Brusho, and put the paste through the stencil again ....


the result was .... a matching gift tag!

A few splatteres of co-ordinating ink here and there .....


and a couple of simple sentiments finishes everything off nicely ......


Happy stenciling!

Thanks for popping by ...... don't forget to check out what the rest of the Design Team have created, over on the CAS Stencil Challenge Blog.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
I've got slow cooked Pork Belly waiting for me and it smells deeee-licious ...... Yum!

Cheerio until next time .....

9 comments:

Loll said...

WOW! Your card and matching tag are gorgeous Linda. I have not tried using translucent paste over powdered inks. I need to give this a try. I only have gel mediums, but will try with those. The colours of your flower are so deep from the saturation of brushos. Amazing! And the tag is just an adorable bonus. Always learning from you Linda. :) xx

Julia Aston said...

Now there's a new product for me Linda - translucent stencil paste - it sure captures the deep dark colors of the Brushos - what lovely green on the leafy stems and dark red on the blossoms - and a great added bonus to use leftovers to create a tag! A lovely Hello card!

Bonnie said...

WOW! This is fantastic, Linda! Love the effect of the paste over the sprinkled Brusho! What a gorgeous flower! Love that you got a tag out of the play too!

Christine Alexander said...

Incredible Linda, the images are beautiful and so crisp with the translucent paste. one technique to try :) I really do have to do some shopping sweet poppy stencils :)

Robyn Oliver said...

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant Linda... wonderful effect you've achieved with the Brushos and paste... on my to try list now.... fabulous card and tag too

nancy littrell said...

Transluscent Stencil Paste..interesting and you got such gorgeous results on your stenciled flowers. I do have gel..hmmm. Will have to try. TFS your gorgeous card and sweet matching tag and tips, my friend. Hugs..Nancy

nancy littrell said...

Love your gorgeous card and matching Brushos Stenciled projects, Linda. The Translucent paste sounds very interesting. I do have gel medium...hmmm. TFS your projects and tips, my friend. Hugs..Nancy

Cathy said...

Fabulous card and tag Linda, love the intensity of colours, just checked my stash and I do have some transparent matte paste, so thankyou for the inspiration! Cathy x

Sue said...

Gorgeous card, Linda, I love the vivid colours and that you made a tag too.