Wednesday 14 August 2019

Hang on to those mop up paper towels ........

Happy Wednesday .......

How's your week going? ........ flying by just about describes mine!

I've got a fun day today ...... the ladies are coming round shortly for a midweek workshop.  We're going to be working on the calendars again, well we need to get them finished soon.
It's going to be easy watercolouring today, and also creating simple inky backgrounds for all those large sentiment stamps.

Before I dash off to finish getting everything ready, I want to play along with this month's CAS Mix Up Challenge


Interesting theme this month ...... Paper Towel??!? 

It's all about recycling those inky paper towels ..... you know, the ones we get when mopping up our craft mats, well ...... don;t throw them away!! 
Loll (Stamping with Loll) is hosting this month's challenge and she's used this technique in the past with amazing results. 
Now you know me ........ I don't like wasting inks or paints, and I do mop up, but it's usually with pieces of card first.  My paper towels don't look that pretty by the time I've finished!  However I did manage to find one that didn't look too bad so, here we go .....


I created the background by spritzing a piece of white card with a little water, I laid my mop up paper towel over the top and then sprizted again with water.  I placed another piece of card over the top, just to avoid getting more ink on my fingers, and then applied a little pressure to help transfer the ink onto the white card.


I did this a couple of times, using different parts of the paper towel and I love the results.  The texture from the paper towel has also come through and looks fab,  and I love the layers.
It's a bit of a surprise what you're going to get using this technique, and no two backgrounds will ever be the same.  What a fun way of using up left over inks!

I stamped over the top using one of the new stamp sets that arrived in the craft room last week ......


and heat embossed the image in gold.

The stamps are from a lovely set called Bloom, by a lady called Tracey Hey.   This is a new range to me.  I've seen the name around Blogland and in magazines so I popped onto the website for a little look.  Oh my! ....... what gorgeous designs, and so cute.  I had to shop, so you will be seeing a few more of Tracey's designs on here.

I added my sentiment, which is from the same stamp set ....... I love the mix of fonts


and I finished off with a few splatters of white paint.


That's ...... Paper Towel (check!)
                  Stamping (check!)
                  My choice ...... heat embossing, or it could be ink splatters (check!)

I'll be looking at my mop up towels a little differently now.

Thanks for popping by ..... have a lovely day.
It's time I checked the work table, they'll be here soon ....... here's a sneak peek at what we'll be doing


Cheerio until next time .........


Products used:
Stamps: Bloom (Tracey Hey)
Inks: Distress Oxides - Mustard Seed, Worn Lipstick, Mowed Lawn; Versamark,
Other: Gold Embossing Powder (WOW!), White Acrylic Paint .... and of course a mop up paper towel!

9 comments:

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card Linda, an interesting way of using your paper towel, might try this before I mess them up.
Workshop looks interesting.
Avril xx

Susan Joyce said...

Linda I love your design, so perfect for the Paper Towel challenge this month at CAS Mix Up!

Bonnie said...

This is a perfect background for this pretty flower and lovely sentiment, Linda! Love the soft pastel yellow and pink! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Loving your artist work and especially that fab sentiment! Great way to use your paper towel too!

Papercraft Boutique said...

Your paper towel background is so soft and pretty, Linda! I love the layers of the colors and subtle texture of the paper towel. The flower looks so pretty and the gold heat-embossed outlines beautifully blend into the background colors. So glad to see your card in the CAS Mix Up gallery. Thanks so much!
Hidkeo xx

Christine Alexander said...

Great paper towel background, you managed to find the perfect mix of colours. Love that stamp and sentiment :)

Loll said...

Great work with the paper towel transfer Linda. Your background is gorgeous and just perfect to show off that beautiful flower and sentiment. Must check out Tracey's shop! Your calendars look amazing. Hope you'll be able to share the in full once you are done. xx

Mac Mable said...

What pretty colours and the technique looks fabulous Linda. The stamped flower is contemporary and looks wonderful. Great card x,

Jo said...

Oh my Linda, this delightful card is full of creative energy. The paper towel transfer is amazing and that unique bloom is simply amazing, I must take a peek at Tracey's store. A beautiful piece of art and the sentiment is so very special. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up! xx