Saturday 15 February 2020

More CAS inspiration ......

Happy weekend folks ......

Well, we're back to flights cancelled and no ferries sailing.  Storm Dennis has arrived!!  Looks like hubby maybe be grounded tomorrow too ..... his afternoon flight to the UK has been cancelled just waiting to see if he can get on the evening one ...... unless that's cancelled too!

Anyway ......... it's time to remind you about this month's CAS Challenges ...... CAS Mix Up and CAS Stencil

Lets start with the CAS Mix Up Challenge
Joanna is our host this month, and the theme is Stencil using a Die Cut


I've used one of my all time favourite dies from Penny Black ..... I love this flower! 


I simply die cut the flower from a piece of white card stock ..... put the flower to one side for later and used the what was left of the card as my stencil.

Blended Distress Oxide inks through the design to create the background layer of flowers


I cut the flower again from another piece of white card (that's another one I can use as a stencil), layered the two together and then coloured the top one with Oxides inks, before attaching it over the top of the stenciled versions creating a pretty little bouquet


A few inks splatters,  a cute little twine bow and a sentiment to finish off



On to the CAS Stencil challenge.   Hosted by the lovely Barb,  the theme is .......  Foil


Check out the CAS Stencil Blog for links to some fabulous tutorial videos on different ways of adding foil to your projects.

I've used a really simple way of adding just a touch of foil ...... not to easy to photograph though especially with the weather we're having at the moment!!


I masked around the edges of a piece of white card, and then stamped the script in the background. 
Still with the masking tape in place, I added Distress Ink around the edges.  Distress ink stays wet for a little while so, if you're quick you can get embossing powder on there.  I used the tacky stuff, you know the one, looks like embossing powder but it goes sticky when heated.
I sprinkled just a little around the edges, brushed most of it away and then heated what was left and quickly applied my foil over the top.  I let it cool for a couple of seconds and then rubbed over the foil to make sure it had stuck.  And this was the look I got ........ a sort of distresed, grungy look .....


I removed the masking tape and stenciled the flower over my background.  Again the ink I used stayed wet for a little while so I did the same again with the sticky powder - sprinkled some on, brushed off where I didn't want it and heated it.  Placed the foil on top and then peeled it away ..... voila!  just a touch of shimmer and shine.


I really like the effect.

There's still a week left if you fancy joining in with any of the CAS challenges ..... hopefully I'll see you in the gallery.

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cheerio until next time  ........

CAS Mix Up
Products used:
Stamps: Share Laughter clear stamps (Hero Arts) for the sentiment 
Inks: Distress Oxide Inks - Mowed Lawn, Picked Raspberry; Scattered Straw; Dried Marigold; Versafine Clair - Nocturne; Delicate - Golden Glitz (for the splatters)
Others: Bashful Die (Penny Black); Natural Twine; Wonky Stitched Rectangle Dies (CUTplorations from STAMPlorations

CAS Stencil
Products used:
Stamps: Labeled Messages (Mama Elephant); Script Background (Uniko)
Stencils: Floral Stencil (Tim Holtz)
Inks: Distress Inks - Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs; Versafine - Smokey Grey; Versafine Clair - Nocturne 
Others: Ranger Tacky Embossing Powder; Foil from my stash

13 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Love your pretty coneflowers Linda - both stenciled and die cut - a lovely dimensional look with the two techniques! And what a great way to use the foil with the sticky embossing powder - so pretty with just the partial foiling of bits on the edges and on your pretty stenciled flowers! Hope you have weathered the storm and that it has passed on with travel services restored! xx

Cathy said...

2 gorgeous cards Linda, love how you added the diecut flower to the stencilled ones. Your distressed look foiling is perfect for the vintage feel of your card, great idea to use tacky embossing powder. Hope the weather settles soon for you, Cathy x

Bonnie said...

I love your spring bouquet, Linda! That's one of my favorite PB dies too! Your foiling is awesome! I love the scattered look of it! Very clever, my friend!

Loll said...

I LOVE that sweet daisy bouquet. Such a perfect CAS design. It's adorable with the stitched framing and the sweet rafia bow. Great sentiment too!

Amazing design with your foiled card. I LOVE how the randomness of the heat and stick worked with your vintage style design. What a great technique to get just a bit of shine. You are so clever and creative, Linda! xx

Barb Ghig said...

Two really beautiful cards, Linda! I love how you mixed your stenciling with the die cut flower on the first one and how you added a grunge border on the 2nd card! you did an amazing job with foils!

Ros Crawford said...

Beautiful cards!! The daisies look so pretty and then the stencil card... Oh wow! It turned out beautifully!

HilaryJane said...

2 beautiful cards and both very different. The foiling looks stunning and the stencilled flowers from your negative die cut are just lovely, great colours and wonderful splatters xx

Mrs.B said...

Two great cards Linda, love the design with your 'home made stencil' very effective.
The rose foiled card looks stunning, and it's one of my favourite stencils.
Avril xx

Jo said...

Don't we all love this daisy die. I must admit that this die is perfect for this challenge. Love the contrary colour tones for the blooms. The subtle splatters on that stitched frame along with the jute bow and sentiment truly complete this beautiful card. So lovely! xx

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a lovely bouquet of flowers, Linda! Layering the die-cut flower over the stenciled ones is a clever idea. The colors of the flowers are so pretty. And the foiled roses and spatters around the edges are awesome! I especially love the foiling around the edges. Such a beautiful design!
Hideko xx

Christine Alexander said...

Love both cards Linda but I must admit your foiling one just blew me away. Your blended rectangle frame, stamping and that gorgeous foiling is stunning :)

nancy littrell said...

TFS your foiling technique, Linda. I really like the distressed look of your shiny beautiful flowers and edge of your distressed frame. Hugs..Nancy

Mac Mable said...

What a pretty first card with lovely blending and colours. Wow to the striking foiled card Linda x. Hope the weather is settling down a little your end? It has been wild our end too x.