Wednesday 1 April 2020

CAS Mix Up Challenge .......

Hi there .......

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month ........ welcome to April folks!
I hope everyone is managing to stay safe and well.

If you could do with something to take your mind off things for a little while then, why not join in with this months CAS Mix Up Challenge ........


Loll is our Challenge Host this month and she would like us to use Bleaching on our projects.

There's a few ways of doing this technique ....... using simple household bleach, which we all probably have lots of at the moment.  I must admit it's not one of my favourite products ..... I don't like the smell!  It does give some great effects though, depending on how you use it, and your cardstock can also make a big difference.
Check out the CAS Mix Up Blog for some great video links using this technique.

Another way is faux bleaching, which is what I've used here.  I've created that bleached out look using Distress Inks and water.


I love this stamp from Simon Says Stamp ...... it's called Flora Background and it was part of their STAMPtember release last year, and would you believe, it's the first time it's been inked!!!

I stamped the design onto a piece of watercolour card and heat embossed in gold


I then blended a couple of shades of Distress Ink over the top of the whole piece of card.  I went with blue but you could use whatever colour you like ....... the darker the colour, the more of a contrast there will be.

To create the bleached effect I simply took a paintbrush and some clean water and painted over the petals.  The water reacts with the Distress Ink and you can dab away the colour using a paper towel ...... the more water you use, the more colour you can 'bleach' away


It looks so pretty.

I cut down the design to fit the front of my card blank, added a die cut frame and stamped a sentiment underneath .....


Now you know me, I don't like to waste anything so .........


 ...... this was one of the pieces I cut off,  way too pretty to throw away so, I made it into a matching tag!

One of the ways of using actual bleach, is to stamp onto black or dark coloured cardstock and then use the bleach as you would a paint to colour in the image.  This then bleaches the colour out of the cardstock.
I did try this but I think the bleach I have in the cupboard has been there forever, and it just didn't do anything so, I took a white watercolour pencil and coloured in the image instead .......


I think it looks a little like the bleach effect ...... what do you think?


See you in the gallery!

EDITED
Oh My!  I can't believe I missed this!! ...... thanks for the heads up Loll!
I'm so excited to see the fabulous NBUS Challenge is up and running again, with it's own special website ......


I'm ashamed to say I have a whole box of NBUS ...... Never Before Used Schtuff, but now I have a reason to use it, and the time to play.  Hopefully this will help to get my mojo back too!

Because the stamp I've used on the above designs has never been used before, I'm linking up to this month's challenge. 

Thanks for popping by ....... enjoy the rest of your day.

Things are still a little crazy around here ...... I just can't seem to settle down at anything.  Sleep patterns are all over the place too.  I think everyone's the same.
There was so much that I was going to do ...... things around the house, catch up on stuff in the craft room like all those online classes I've subscribed too but, it's just not happening. 
I have cleaned  a couple of cupboards out, and sorted through the freezer.  I even tried moving the furniture in my craft room and clearing my desks to see if that would help with the old mojo ..... now I just can't find anything ...... well apart from the new stuff that's arrived this week (ooops!)


I also treated myself to a gorgeous new Archer & Olive journal ....... not sure what I'm going to do in there but, it's noce to look at!!


Oh well ...... time for a glass of wine I think ...... well it is Wednesday!

Stay safe everyone.

Cheerio until next time ........



Produsts used:
Stamps: Flora Background (Simon Says Stamp); Sprinkles & Smiles (Penny Black) - sentiment
Inks: Versamark; Distress Inks - Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire
Others: Gold Embossing Powder (WOW!); Paintbrush; Clean Water; Stitched Rectangle Frame Die

16 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL cards Linda...I love them both!! :0)

Bonnie said...

I love how you've used this stamp, Linda! It's perfect for the bleached out flowers and good for you finding a way to do the technique without bleach. There is no bleach on the store shelves here. Fortunately I had a tiny bit in the laundry. Good thing it doesn't take much. I found it does need to be fairly fresh to work. We are all kind of scattered about with all the changes, I think. Hopefully we will settle down soon and find our new normal as it sounds like we're in it for a while. xoxo

Loll said...

I have this same stamp and have not used it yet. You've inspired me to pull it out. Your cards are amazing Linda!! I love both of them (and the tag). Water does pull distress inks out of paper and what an easy way to get a bleached effect. And same for the dark card stock card ... your white pencil work looks like bleaching too! So clever! You should add this to the new NBUS challenge! xx

Ros Crawford said...

They are both stunners Linda!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Stunning colour combos and gorgeous cards! I've had a mojo problem too, but I'm slowly getting it back:) I'm adding that stamp to my wishlist!

Trina P. said...

No need to be ashamed. We are all in the same boat, so thank goodness for Darnell bringing back the NBUS challenge! Your projects are beautiful. Thanks for all the ideas to bleach, The smell of bleach prevented me from trying it, but Susan B. recommended the solashless one ans I barely noticed the smell.

Jo said...

Precious and regal, this card is filled with beautiful richness. Such elegant cards! xx

Mac Mable said...

I so enjoyed reading your post linda. Great inspiration and fabulous creations. I love how you used water as your bleach and what stunning cards x. Enjoy the wine x.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Gorgeous blue card designs. I love each and every one of them.

Darnell said...

What a cool stamp! When I first glanced at your card, Linda, I thought it was the underside view of a heap of hot air balloons taking off! Cool visual, huh? Hic! Well, it is Friday, lol! I love how you found a way to get a beautiful bleached look just by using water with your DIs and you're very clever to have also achieved it on dark card by using your white pencil!

Keep safe and take care on your little island! And thank you so much for sharing at my resurrected NBUS challenge! With that pile of goodies, I expect I'll see your name in the gallery quite a lot if this has kickstarted your mojo!! Hugs, Darnell

Susan Joyce said...

Love your take on the bleaching Linda and the way you achieved it, never would have thought of doing it that way. Awesome card design!

Mac Mable said...

Creative way to use the faux/water bleached effect and I didn't know about using bleach on colour cardstock so thank you for the inspiration. Loving your cards and love your new stash too! x

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a beautiful blue flower card, Linda! I love it! Faux bleaching gives it a soft-look, and the shine form the gold embossing looks so pretty! It must have taken a lot of time and patience to dab away the color from each petal using paper towel, but it was really worth it.
Adding color penciling to the bleached area (second card) is a great idea. I tried with a few colored card stock with bleach. It's interesting that some changed the colors completely instead of removing the color, like green to yellow.
Your new Archer & Olive journal looks beautiful! Just looking at it is therapeutic. :-)
Hideko xx

Izzy Scrap said...

WOW ! I'm totally in love with your two cards, Linda ! They are so beautiful, no, stunning ! Thanks for the inspiration ! Hope you're all fine and safe at home. xx

TK said...

Beautiful card, I just adore that technique but I have not tried it as of yet! Do you use a paintbrush with a small of bleach or bleach loaded in a waterbrush? Just curious... You might be inspiring me!

Linda said...

Thank you for your lovely comment TK. If I'm using bleach I would always use an old paintbrush and a small pot of bleach.
Hope you give this technique a go ..... it is fun! xx