Friday 1 May 2020

The CAS Mix Up Challenge ........

Hello again ......

I hope you're having a good day.  The weekend is just around the corner ..... although I think everyday is the weekend at the moment!

It's time for a new challenge over at CAS Mix Up.
I'm hosting the challenge this month, and we've got a fun technique theme for you  ....... Gesso Resist


You've probably got a jar or two of Gesso in your stash ..... white gesso, black or even clear.  There's various textures too ..... some brands are thick, some are thinner and more like paint and then there's heavy Gesso.  To be honest I'm not too sure of the differences, they all seem to do the same thing, just try this technique with whatever you have in your stash.

Gesso is normally used as a base, to prime surfaces before adding paint, but it can also be used to give a resist effect to your projects.  Use it to stamp with or apply gesso through stencils.


I used white Gesso thorough my stencil onto a piece of plain white cardstock.  You only need a thin layer, it's not like texture paste .... I applied mine using a sponge.  If you're going to stamp over the top of it, you need the gesso layer to be as smooth as possible.

 
Once the gesso was dry I used Distress Inks over the top.
Simply brush over the colours and watch the gesso 'resist' the ink.   
This isn't the same as doing an emboss resist ...... your finished image may not be perfectly crisp and clear, it depends on how careful you were with the stenciling, but I quite like grungy look.


I cut my panel down to size and then stamped directly on the top using a black ink


You'll find more inspiration over on the CAS Mix Up Blog, along with some links to videos on using this fun technique ..... have fun!

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your day.
I'm off to finish my journal pages from an online workshop I did this afternoon ....... enjoy your weekend.

Cheerio until next time ......

Stay Safe, Stay Well, Stay at home


Products used:
Stamps: Happy Wishes (T for Transparent stamp set - Penny Black)
Inks: Distress Inks -  Picked Raspberry, Abandoned Coral, Scattered Straw; Versafine Clair - Nocturne
Others: White Gesso (IndigoBlu's Gee-Sso Good); Bouquet Stencil (Tim Holtz)

12 comments:

Jo said...

Beautiful card, Linda, love the colour scheme and that stencilled gesso really WORKs. I discovered a new technique and fell in love, thank you. xx

Bonnie said...

Beautiful resisted flowers, Linda! So many ways to use gesso. Thanks for the great challenge!

Becca Cruger said...

I need to pull out my stencils because this is an absolutely beautiful design and a very interesting technique!

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful stenciled with Gesso and then sponged with DI's floral image, Linda. TFS and hosting this fun technique that I plan to try:-) Stay safe and Creative. Hugs...Nancy

Loll said...

LOVE the colours you've brushed over your gesso resist Linda (my favs!). This is so cheerful with the colours and your lovely sentiment. Very uplifting card. Thanks for hosting this fun challenge! xx

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow! Such a pretty result! I love the ombre and the bold sentiment! Thanks for this fun challenge - I had lots of fun playing, when I finally found my Gesso:)

Darnell said...

What a fun brief, Linda! I can't wait to try it! I love the tequila sunrise colors you used on your beautiful card!! Take good care and keep safe! Hugs, Darnell

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Linda, I also love the grungy effect you get when using Gesso. I love those colours :)

Papercraft Boutique said...

Gorgeous flower panel, Linda! The colors are so pretty and I love the soft touch of gesso resist (not as crisp and clear as heat-embossing).
The sentiment is beautiful and the stamp set jumped into my shopping cart! ;-)
Thanks so much for hosting this wonderful challenge this month!
Hideko

Susan Joyce said...

Love your stencil and the colours Linda wonderful design!

Redanne said...

I love the gesso resist technique but don't usually get such great results, this is absolutely beautiful and the background really does made that sentiment 'pop'. Beautiful work Linda. I am afraid I have lost all track of time now as one day rolls into another... Stay safe and well. Hugs, Anne xx

Mac Mable said...

So very pretty and yes I like the effect of the gesso reist too, as it's not super white or sharp and that makes it a unique and artsy card....love it x.