Tuesday 1 September 2020

Embossing with Dies for CAS Mix Up ......

Hello again ......

I hope you're enjoying your Tuesday.
I'm back with the launch of this month's CAS Mix Up Challenge.

Joanna is our host for September, and the challenge has a Mixed Media theme, using a real fun technique ..... Embossing with Dies


Now, Embossing with Dies is sort of new to me, especially the version of the technique I've used, but I'm always up for a challenge! 
If it's all new to you too, then check out the CAS Mix Up Blog.  As well as all the fabulous inspiration from the rest of the Design Team, you'll find links on there to some really useful videos showing you different ways of using this technique.

I was inspired by the video Embossed Impressions from the lovely Jennifer McGuire  ...... and I love it!  I just had to give it a try


I used one of the Tim Holtz Mixed Media dies, gently swiped over the top of the cutting edges with Versamark ink and then embossed it through my Big Shot onto the top part a piece of navy cardstock (I did have to put an extra shim in with my plates to get a good impression)


I then sprinkled over the top with gold embossing powder and heat set, before repeating the process again underneath ..... it looks so pretty! 

Quick tip ..... when using this technique, don't forget to use an anti-static bag over your card BEFORE embossing with your dies.  That way you don't get embossing powder sticking where you don't want it to.
If however, you have been a little heavy handed with the Versamark Ink and it transfers where you don't want it don't worry ....... just use a fine paintbrush to carefully brush away any excess embossing powder before you heat it up.

I stamped my sentiment onto a strip of white cardstock using a gold ink, and placed it across the card where the two embossed panels meet


To finish off I added a tiny gold heart that I had coated with Versamark Ink, and heat embossed three times, in the same gold as my background



So, I've included the theme ....... Embossing with Dies, I've rubber stamped, and I've heat embossed!
Now it's over to you ...... can't wait to see you in the gallery.

We have a fabulous Guest Designer this month ......... Mac (The Sweetest of Peas) is joining is the fun so be sure to pop by and say Hello!

Thanks for popping by ..... enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheerio until next time .......

Products used:
Stamps: Kisses & Wishes 'T' for Transparent stamp set(Penny Black)
Dies: Tim Holtz Mixed Media Dies #5
Inks: Versamark Ink; Delicata Metallic Ink - Golden Glitz
Other: Tiny Heart Punch, Gold Embossing Powder (WOW!)

13 comments:

Viv said...

A great technique Linda and you've certainly done it justice with this lovely card!

HilaryJane said...

You have nailed the technique on this card, I have used it before and love the effect but keeping the embossing powder in the right place is a challenge. Love the gold against the navy, very stylish xx

Mac Mable said...

What a beautiful card Linda and what a unique and pretty effect with the fun technique x. Thank you for the tips too and thank you for the kind and friendly shout out x.

Bonnie said...

The gold and navy is so elegant, Linda! Love the white strip with gold embossed sentiment and that tiny 3D heart! Gorgeous card, my friend!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Wow Linda! Great technique. So stunning! I'm sure I'd end up with a mess:)

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous, Elegant gold heat embossed die embossed flowers, Linda. TFS all your steps and tips. Loved your gold heat embossed 3 times heart next to your sentiment and blue cardstock white area too. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Loll said...

LOVE the gold and navy together Linda. Awecome! And such a gorgeous die that you've used to dry and heat emboss. I have only tried this technique once and didn't get good results. I will now use your tips about anti-static first, then versamark and embossing powder, repeating the last two steps. This card is very beautiful and elegant. xx

Mrs.B said...

A great technique Linda, the card looks fabulous.
Avril xx

Jo said...

Impressive, the gold and navy were meant for each other. You've made a spectacular card and mastered the technique beautifully. The white sentiment strip breaks it up perfectly without stealing the show to this gorgeous die/ heat embossed impression. Love this card.

Christine Alexander said...

love the simple lines of the gold on your die cut, such a classic card :)

Zoechaos said...

You cannot beat a timeless elegant card like this one it is glorious. Now if only I had watched that tutorial before I made mine! x

Julia Aston said...

What a beautiful card with the gold on the blue Linda - a lovely idea to embossed the impression! xx

Susan Joyce said...

You did a great job with the technique Linda, I tried this one but sadly failed a number of times. Your card is stunning!