Monday 1 March 2021

Happy Birthday CAS Mix Up! ........

Happy Monday ........

February didn't last long did it ........ welcome to March!

I do like March ......... spring officially starts, the days get longer and the weather gets nicer. It's been lovely here for the last few days, we were even sat out in the garden yesterday!
Mothers Day is in March too, well here in the IOM/UK it is, and .......... it's my birthday this month (yeah!!!)  Not sure I'll be shouting about it next year when it's a really BIG one!!!

Not only is it my birthday this month, we're also celebrating at CAS Mix Up ....... our little Blog Challenge is 5 years old this month ..... whoo hoo!!!


Of course we're celebrating with this month's Blog Challenge.  
Our host for birthday month is Bonnie and she's got a fabulous technique for us.  
This month it's the turn of the Watercolour challenge so, the main element on your design must be some form of water colouring, and you must follow the theme which is  ............ Print Making with Die Cuts


Now this is something I haven't really done before.   If I have ever printed with die cuts, it's probably by accident!!!

What a fun technique to try though ........ the big decision was, which die cut to go for!  In the end I went for an old favourite from Penny Black (I do love this flower)


Because I knew I would be adding a lot of water onto the die cut, I cut three of the flowers from white cardstock and layered them together to give it a bit more strength.  
I then used my ZIG markers to add the colour, spritzed it with water and used the die cut to print a background onto a piece of watercolour cardstock, which I'd also spritzed with a little water. 


I love the effect.  
Because my watercolour card was damp,  I managed to get two or three prints from one colouring of the die cut ..... a bit like second and third generation stamping ...... giving a pretty softness to the background.


Once the background was done, I added a touch more colour to the die cut, spritzed with water again and left it to dry.

For the sentiment I layered together two of the die cut 'happy' just for dimension.  I added a touch of Distress Ink to the bottom edge, and then spritzed with water and let the ink move over the die cut


Once everything was dry I attached the flower onto the printed card, and added the die cut part of my sentiment over the top and stamped the rest underneath.
  
I then inked around the edge of the card with Distress Ink, and finished off by adding a few splatters onto the background ........  I do love a good splatter!


Happy Birthday CAS Mix Up!

Why not come join the party and help us celebrate!  
The challenge is open until March 24th, and if you need a little more inspiration then check out the CAS Mix Up Blog, the Design Team have been busy creating and we also have a lovely Guest Designer this month ...... Ros (Mikey's Mom) is joining in the fun so please stop by and say Hello.

Thanks for popping by .... enjoy the rest of your day.
I've got a busy week coming up and it's my birthday on Friday ...... fingers crossed we're not in lockdown by then!  I say fingers crossed because it's back ...... Covid that is!  
We've got cases where they can't trace where it's come from so, we were told to stay at home on Saturday, no mixed gatherings, travel only when necessary  ..... here we go again!  Good thing we didn't go out in the van!
Anyway, yesterday we were told carry on as normal (whatever that is!) but be vigilant!  We're not in lockdown yet and there's no restrictions but, that could all change at anytime depending on what happens this week.  At least the sun is shining!

Cheerio until next time ........


Products used:

Dies: Bashful (Flower die - Penny Black); Happy Die (Winnie & Walter)
Stamps: Fun Birthday Sentiments (Happy Little Stampers)
Inks: Distress Ink - Kitsch Flamingo (I love this new colour!!!); Versafine Clair - Nocturne
Other: ZIG Clean Color Brush Markers

14 comments:

conil said...

This was my first time using diecuts for prints, too. Have to say you nailed it on your first try. What a happy, seasonal card you've made. It fairly screams, Spring.

maria f. said...

This is delightful, Linda! Enjoy your birthday week. (We in Germany are still in lockdown.)

Bonnie said...

I hope you don't have to lock down for your birthday, my friend. No matter what, CELEBRATE!

Love your print made background! This flower is perfect for the technique as it looks like a lovely garden! I love how you've place the die cut in the sentiment and of course your splatters! Happy Birthday!

Loll said...

LOVE this die ... and the gorgeous prints you made from it. Good that you were able to get two or three prints with each colouring. The prints add so much dimension and depth. And of course, pink ... my favourite (and yours!). :) Wishing you a very Happy Birthday on Friday, my friend! xx

Viv said...

Fab flower dies Linda - and the Happy die is now added to the toilet roll length wish list!
Happy Friday Birthday and fingers crossed for you. x

Julie B said...

This is so pretty Linda, a really effective use of the prints.
Hope you have a lockdown free birthday on Friday, can't remember when we weren't in lockdown! I think we are just shy of 12 months since this all kicked off. Keep safe. :)

HilaryJane said...

This is really pretty, I love the soft background that your die cuts have created and the pink edges. I do hope you don't get a covid resurgence and I wish you a wonderful birthday xx

Mrs.B said...

A lovely card Linda, I do like the effect you achieved, haven't tried this technique.
Hope you don't go back into lockdown, can't believe it's been a year since life was normal!
Avril xx

Leslie Miller said...

You made such a beautiful card, Linda! All that luscious pink, and your background is perfect! Enjoy your birthday, even if you have to stay home. At least spring is near!

Christine Alexander said...

great prints from your die cut and love the addition of the splatters :)

nancy littrell said...

I love your die cut and watercolored flower for your paper printed background, Linda. Your sponged edges, splatters and pretty die cut sentiment are such beautiful touches. Stay safe and enjoy a safe birthday, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Mac Mable said...

What a pretty card with a great effect with the technique Linda x. Beautiful die cut flower and a fabulous background. So feminine and so very beautiful x. Enjoy your birthday and have fun and hope you are not back into lockdown x.

Julia Aston said...

What a fun technique with beautiful results - love your soft daisy prints behind your colorful die cut bloom! xx

Susan Joyce said...

Happy Birthday Linda, best wishes for a fun day and year! Love your soft pastel colours on your very pretty card.