Thursday 1 April 2021

It's the 1st of April, time for a new CAS Mix Up challenge .......

Happy Thursday .........

Pinch and a punch for the first of the month ......... welcome to April!

A new month means new Blog Challenges and, this month it's my turn to host over at the CAS Mix Up Challenge.  
It's a Mixed Media month, and I've chosen the theme ........ Paper Piecing


I do love a bit of paper piecing.  If you're not really a fan of spending time colouring in all your stamped images then this is a great way, it's quick too, of adding that colour.  
Just think of all those bits of patterned papers that we all hoard, just in case we need them, this is a great way to use up all those.  Or, what about the backgrounds we've made using various ink and paint techniques that didn't quite turn out as we planned, well don't throw them away ....... these are perfect for paper piecing.

Flowers work really well with this technique ..... small or large, but you can paper piece anything, butterflies, birds, pieces of clothing, you name it!  My only tip would be, look for images that are easy to cut out, and don't worry about all the little surrounding details like stems, or antennae,  you don't need to fussy cut those!

If you're not familiar with paper piecing, then check out the links on the CAS Blog post to some really useful videos showing ways of using this technique.

These cute little daisies are just perfect for paper piecing .....


I stamped the image onto a piece of white card stock, and then splattered the background with Distress inks using colours that matched the paper I used for the actual flower heads


I coloured in the stems and added my sentiment ......


I then used an old gelli plate print for the flowers ....... simply stamped the daisy heads and heat embossed with a clear powder, and then fussy cut them


I  attached the flower heads with some glue onto my stamped image ...... voila!  all coloured, with some nice shading going on there too!  
You could also use foam pads to layer your flowers and add a touch of dimension as I've done in the example below ........


Using a black ink, I stamped the whole image onto the front of my card.  I then stamped just the centre of it, twice onto a gelli print and heat embossed those with a gold powder


I fussy cut the flowers, attaching the first layer onto the stamped image with glue, and then used foam pads to attached the large flower in the centre to add some depth


I think the pop of colour looks really cool in the centre of the black and white, and I love the texture and the pattern from the gelli print, which as a whole print wasn't very interesting at all!

I finished off with a sentiment made up of plain stamping and some more gold heat embossing to bring everything together.


You'll find more paper piecing inspiration from the rest of Design Team over on the CAS Mix Up Blog.  We also have a fabulous Guest Designer ...... the lovely Bonnie (Papercrafter at large) is joining in the fun so please pop by and say hello.

I hope you have fun with this month's challenge, I'm really looking forward to seeing all your paper pieced designs in the gallery.

Happy stamping!

Thanks for popping by .... enjoy the rest of your day and have a lovely Easter.

Cheerio until next time ...... 


Products used:
Card one .....
Stamps: Sweet Daisy (Julie Hickey Designs)
Inks: Versafine Clair - Nocturne; Distress Inks - Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade (to do the splatter)
Other: ZIG Clean Color Brush Marker - green; gelli plate print from my stash

Card two .....
Stamps: Hello Lovely (Concord & 9th)
Inks: Versafine Clair - Nocturne; Versamark; 
Other: Gold Embossing Powder (WOW!); gelli plate print from my stash

14 comments:

HilaryJane said...

Two really great cards and what good examples of paper piecing. I was a bit daunted by this one but ended up really enjoying it so thanks for the inspirations xx

nancy littrell said...

Two gorgeous floral paper pieced CAS card designs, Linda. TFS your cards, descriptions, and videos for paper piecing. I am loving this technique. I have not done it for years and then only a couple of times. Thank you for such a fun challenge, my friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Mac Mable said...

What a modern and impressive way to do the paper piecing Linda. Both cards look amazing and I love them both x. Fabulous inspiration too ....Thank you x.

Bonnie said...

This is a fun challenge, Linda, and one that I don't think to do. I love your sweet daisies in the fall colors and the beautiful aqua flower with the gold embossing! Both beautifully paper pieced!

conil said...

What a treat...a twofer, and what a twofer it is. Love the colorful warmth exuding from your orange flowers. The shading, spatter and your clever sentiment positioning adds so much to the card. Also, that second card is drop-dead gorgeous. Clearly, Spring has sprung.

nancy littrell said...

Loved how you used your gelli plate piece from your stash to paper piece your daisies, Linda. This is such a fun challenge. I loved your pretty 2nd card too. I have not done paper piecing for years and now you have really piqued my interest to use more often. Thank you for hosting, my friend. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Viv said...

Brilliant paper piecing examples Linda, the first is so pretty and delicate and the contrast with the stark black with the beautiful gold embossed blooms is stunning. x

Loll said...

Two fabulous cards using your gelli plate prints, Linda! Two beautiful cards. Love the bright and fun daisies in Spring colours. Your bouquet card is beautiful and elegant with the mostly black and white design and a pop of colour with gold embosisng in your paper pieced flowers. AMAZING designs! And such a fun challenge --- thank you! I haven't done this for a LONG time and it was so fun! xx

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful paper piecing Linda, an old technique but so effective ♥

Susan Joyce said...

Two wonderful paper pieced designs Linda, love the elegance of the 2nd one with the black stamped image and then the gold outlined flowers on top. Happy Easter!

Julia Aston said...

Two beautiful paper pieced floral designs Linda - love the splatter on the first and the touches of gold on the 2nd! xx

My Paper Epiphany said...

Such pretty cards! Great way to use Gelliplate prints! I love that we used the same stamp with such different results! Thanks for giving us a fun theme:) I hope you're getting back in to creating x

I Card Everyone said...

Two beautiful examples of how to make paper piecing look seamless, and beautiful, Linda! I can't wait to give it a go!!
=]

Leslie Miller said...

You could fool me, Linda! Your flowers look like some kind of amazing coloring technique. Really lovely stamps. I aspire to do CAS as beautifully as you.