Tuesday 1 February 2022

CAS Mix Up Challenge ........

Happy Tuesday .........

Well, that's January done and dusted ......... welcome to February!

A new month means a new challenge from CAS Mix Up.  
I have to say, February's theme is another first for me ....... I do love a good challenge and I'm alswyas happy to try a new technique!   

Chosen by Susan, our host for this month, the theme is ..... Faux Cloisonne. 
Hmmmm ...... sounds interesting.


If it's all new to you too, then check out the CAS Mix Up Blog.  On there there's a lovely message from Susan explaining a little bit about the technique, and you'll also find links to some great video tutorials too.  I watched them all before I made a start! 

So, according to Wiki, Cloisonne is ....... an ancient technique for decorating metalwork objects with colored material held in place or separated by metal strips or wire, normally of gold.

One of the craft worlds ways of achieving this look is to use glossy magazines, or patterned papers, along with gold heat embossing ...... sounds good to me.  
I'm all for recycling although, glossy magazines are not something I buy these days.  The only magazines I have are my journaling/craft mags., and I'm not cutting into those!  
I did however find a copy of one of our motorhome magazines which was perfect.


I stamped and heat embossed my butterflies onto the magazine page ........ being careful not to have the heat tool too hot!


I then fussy cut around the butterflies ...... I do love the finished look.  Ansd what a great, quick and easy way of adding colour to stamped images.

I arranged the butterflies on a piece of navy cardstock and once I was happy with the layout I stamped and heat embossed just butterfly antennae ........ this saves having to fussy cut around them, far to fiddly for me!

I attached the 'cloisonne' pieces over the top, added a sentiment and a few gold ink splatters.


To finish off, I heat embossed the top and bottom edges of the card, using an embossing pen and a ruler to get the straight edge.

I really enjoyed playing with this technique, I hope you give it a try too.

Thanks for popping by ...... enjoy the rest of your day.

Cheerio until next time .......


Supplies:
Stamps: Bigz - Butterfly 2 (Inkylicious); Everlasting Happiness (Altenew) for the sentiment
Inks: Versamark ink; Delicata - Golden Glitz for the splatters
Other: Old magazine page; Gold Embossing Powder (WOW!); Embossing Pen (WOW!)

11 comments:

Mac Mable said...

What a beautiful and unique effect with the new to me technique Linda x. Thank you for the fabulous inspiration x.

HilaryJane said...

Your butterflies have turned out great and what a good idea to place them on a dark background with gold highlights, very effective xx

conil said...

Really love the floral on your butterflies...adds color to your critters. Love, too, your choice of navy cardstock behind them. Also, like the addition of the gold embossed stripes on the top and bottom of your card. Nicely done.

Bonnie said...

Awesome butterflies, Linda! They look so elegant floating across the gold splattered navy background! Such an elegant card!

Christine Alexander said...

OMG I'm loving the colours that pop through. great card :)

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous faux cloisonne butterflies, Linda. I love your navy cardstock background with the gold splatters and your gold heat embossed borders and sentiment. I really love your navy and gold color combo...very elegant, my friend. TFS Love and Hugs..Nancy

Susan Joyce said...

Awesome design Linda, love the Faux Cloisonné butterflies on the Navy card with the splatters and Gold embossed sentiment.

Julia Aston said...

What beautiful results with this technique Linda! I'm off in search of a magazine or catalogue to try this out! xx

JoAnn said...

Your butterflies are beautiful. You picked the right page to emboss the pretty butterflies on. They look great on the blue background. TFS

My Paper Epiphany said...

YourI love the colour of the card and the butterflies are gorgeous! card is so stunning!

Loll said...

Who knew that travel magazines would have a second purpose! :) Gorgeous colours and pattern for your beautiful cloisonne butterflies, Linda. Love them on the navy background. xx