Wednesday 21 August 2013

It's Wednesday ....... it's the 21st ....... it's challenge time!!

Morning everyone,

Happy Wednesday!  It's the 21st of the month again, and the start of a brand new Forever 21 Challenge over at Indigo Blu.  First though, Congratulations to (drumroll please) ...........
Norma A   
our fab winner from last month.   Thanks to everyone that entered, there were some great Christmas designs.

Onto this month though, and the new theme is ........
Shabby Chic
What exactly is 'shabby chic'?  Well, if you're not sure, you can find a description on Wiki   My idea of 'shabby chic' is vintage style, distressed yet feminine looking, something that's been treasured for years.  The look of worn paint, with hints of ribbons and lace.  Lots of flowers and pearls.

What do you think? .......


I found this lovely photo frame in a little shop in Broadway, in the Cotswolds. (I actually bought a couple as they were really cheap - wish I'd got more!) 
I removed the glass panel and just did a touch of dry brushing on the frame with some of the Indigo Blu English Cottage Artist's Acrylic Paints - Pink Iced Gems and Frosty Sky, to give that aged look.


I then lightly rubbed over the frame in places, with some Flitter Glu and added Winter Dawn Mega Flakes
(my favourite of the flakes I think ....... apart from Chariot of Fire, Royal Peacock, Autumn Blaze .... oh well, I guess I just like them all!)


The stamp set I used is called Music Hall.  This was one of the first sets of IndigoBlu stamps to find it's way into my collection - I just love the words.

I cut a piece of white card to fit inside the frame, then added some colour using Distress inks - Spun Sugar, Worn Lipstick and a touch of Pumice Stone just around the edge (I'm loving this colour at the moment!).  You can see I left the centre of the card white as I wanted the words to stand out a little once the frame was finished.
I stamped the words onto a Post It note, cut around them and made myself a mask.  With the mask in place, in the centre of the piece of card, I stamped the sheet music from the Music Hall stamp set using Onyx Black Versafine ink, second generation stamp.  I then removed the mask and stamped the flourish in two opposite corners using FlitterGlu and the Winter Dawn Flakes
 

The actual words have been stamped onto the front of the glass panel, using Black Stazon ink, then both the glass and the stamped card were put back into the frame.

To decorate the frame, I added lots of paper flowers, resin roses, and metal leaves.  I've added a couple of pearl hat pins, some vintage seam binding and a pretty metal bird cage charm. 

The final touch was the banner across the bottom.  The words are from the Music Hall stamp set again, stamped onto a scrap of white card, cut into a ribbon shape and curled to add the look of movement.

Hope you like it.  Are your inspired to create something 'Shabby Chic'?  If you are, you have until 8pm on the 20th September to get your entries in.  I can't wait to see what you all create - Good luck!


I'm also entering this into a couple of other challenges that are running at the moment ......
There's one over at CountryView Crafts, where the theme is Quotations and Sayings  I think it fits the bill there.
And then there's Our Creative Corner.  Their current theme is Words, Words, Words, again I think it qualifies, don't you.
Not bad eh, 2 challenges and a DT piece in one! Whoo Hoo!!

Thanks for popping by.  Enjoy the rest of the week.  Mine's going to be a busy one, I need to get back in the old craft room and get some work done! 
I've had my hands full for the last few days, with this cuddly little monster .......


...... no time to craft, what with train rides, looking for pirates, carousels, walks on the beach and an exciting day at a party, there just wasn't enough hours in the day. 
He went back home yesterday (sigh), so it's quiet again around here.  Lots to keep me busy though.  I need to get samples done for the weekend (eeeek!) - Kay's back on the telly on Saturday.  I'm not sure of the show times yet, I'll check on that and get back to you.

Oh well, can't sit around here chatting I'm afraid. It's time to grab another coffee and lock myself away for the rest of the morning.  See you later.
 
Cheerio for now

Linda 
xx

5 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Linda, the frame is gorgeous and I really like how you distressed it. Love the music stamp in the background with the flourish corners too. Very shabby chic, I would say! Thanks for joining in at Our Creative Corner. Hugs, Anne x

Darnell said...

Love your post today, Linda! I am not a shabby chic chick in terms of doing, but I do love the end result and seeing the process that artists go through to achieve the fab result. Your frame is a treasure, for sure! I love all the wonderful details!

The star of the show, however, was little cuddly man! What a blessing! xxoo Darnell

Clare with paint in her hair said...

Gorgeous frame, love that stamp set too, I don't have it don't know why! Need to rectify that ASAP

Jenny Marples said...

A beautiful interpretation and representation of shabby chic. Love the way you have brought the frame to life. A favourite saying too. Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner. Hugs, Jenny x

Gabrielle said...

Fabulous frame and I love the sentiment - it looks perfect! Thank you for joining in with Country View Challenges this month!